SLIDER

passover week 2018 - passionfruit macaroon tarts



Last year I made a few treats for Passover which I planned to share with you this year. That was until I broke my external hard disc drive while on holidays and lost all the images stored on the drive including these lemon macaroon tarts. When I returned home I couldn't locate the sd card so I remade the tarts this time using a mixture of passionfruit and lemon juice. Of course just last weekend, once I'd remade and photographed the tarts, I located the missing card. Life's like that isn't it?



I've tried and failed to make decent Passover shortcrust pastry in the past so I decided to make the tart shells using a coconut macaroon mixture. I've done this many times before but I've always filled the baked shells with a curd mixture. This time I wanted to bake the mixture in the shells using a classic lemon tart filling.




That's when I discovered the coconut tart shells are not waterproof and are inclined to leak - everywhere. When I remade the tarts I had a brilliant idea and wondered what would happen if I baked the tarts in muffin liners? I'm still patting myself on the back because it worked like a charm.



I'd planned on using paper liners because I'd forgotten I had some silicone cupcake liners which I rediscovered whilst riffling through my pot drawer. Instead I used the silicone liners and once the tarts were cooked,the liners peeled off easily. Don't try doing this with paper liners - just bake and serve!




Here's the recipe for you which makes 10 tarts. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup, a 20 ml tablespoon, unsalted butter and 60g eggs. My oven is a conventional gas oven so if your oven is fan forced you may need to reduce the oven temperature by 20°C. If you can't find passionfruit just make these tarts using lemon juice. They're equally delicious.

Passionfruit Macaroon Tarts 
2 cups desiccated coconut  
2 egg-whites  
80g caster sugar  
1 tsp grated lemon rind 

Method 
Preheat oven to 170°C. Place the coconut, egg-whites, the sugar and lemon rind in a bowl and stir to combine. Press mixture firmly into the base and sides of 10 cupcake liners placed in the holes of a muffin pan. Bake for 25–30 minutes or until just golden. Allow to cool before filling. 

Filling 
2 egg yolks 
whole eggs 
125 grams caster sugar 
75 mls passionfruit and lemon juice 
1 tsp finely grated lemon rind 
125 mls double cream 

To decorate
double cream/passionfruit pulp

Lower the oven temperature to 160°CPlace egg yolksthe eggssugar, juice and rind in a bowl and whisk to combine, then whisk in cream. Heat the mixture in a saucepan over a medium heat for 5 minutes or until warm, then pour into prepared cases and bake at 160°C for 20-25 minutes or until just firm. Cool on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container. Store in the fridge until serving time. Dollop with cream and top with the passionfruit pulp.



I took the tarts into work and they were devoured very quickly and received the thumbs up from all concerned.

I'll be back again tomorrow with some more Passover baking from my kitchen.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.