SLIDER

lemon buttermilk cake with passionfruit syrup



I've made lemon yoghurt cake many times but with half a container of buttermilk about to expire in the fridge I wondered how the cake would taste made with buttermilk instead of yoghurt.



I was up really early on Sunday, too early to use my stand mixer so I made this all in one bowl, stirred with a wooden spoon just like I did when I first started baking.



I bought a net of passionfruit a few weeks ago and had to use them quickly as the skins were starting to soften. I decided to make a passionfruit syrup to pour over the cake. It's not a new idea and I've made something like this before using a different lemon cake recipe.



It was a lovely day on Sunday so I went out for a few hours while the cake was cooling.



Once home I doused the cake with some more of the syrup before cutting a slice.



Here's the recipe for you which makes a small bundt cake. For all my recipes I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 grams and my oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C. To make a large bundt cake, just double all the cake ingredients and bake for the same time. The passionfruit syrup recipe makes a generous amount which should be enough for the large cake.

Lemon buttermilk cake with passionfruit syrup
Cake
⅔ cup caster sugar
1 egg
1 tbl finely grated lemon rind
110g unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1¼ cups self-raising flour
Pinch salt
½ cup buttermilk
⅓ cup lemon juice

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C (conventional). Grease and flour a small bundt tin. In a large bowl, combine the caster sugar, the egg and the grated lemon rind. Gradually add the cooled butter and mix thoroughly. Sift the flour with the pinch of salt and stir into the egg mixture in thirds, alternately with the buttermilk and the lemon juice. 

Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes. The top should be golden and when tested, a skewer comes out clean. Cool the cake in the tin for 10 minutes then turn out onto a rack before dousing with the passionfruit syrup.



Passionfruit Syrup
½ cup sugar
¼ cup water
¼ cup lemon juice
2 passionfruit, pulped

Method
In a small saucepan combine the sugar, water and the juice. Bring to the boil and lower the heat. Simmer the mixture for a few minutes. Gently stir in the passionfruit pulp and simmer for a further minute. Remove from the heat.




The verdict? The syrup makes for a more dense cake than usual but overall it tastes pretty yummy.

I hope you had a lovely Father's Day on Sunday. See you all again soon.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.