SLIDER

passover week 2017 - flourless chocolate cake

Welcome to Passover Week 2017. I've been baking up a storm in the kitchen and this year the items are on the slightly more ambitious end of the spectrum so I hope you'll like what I've been working on. Here's the first recipe for you, a flourless chocolate cake.

Sometimes it's easy finding recipes to bake for Passover that are conveniently flourless. Sometimes the recipe just needs a small amount of renovation before it's Passover ready. Often times you can't source the Kosher for Passover items you need for the recipe so find yourself looking for substitute ingredients then keep your fingers crossed that all will work out in the end. 



This first recipe is one of those conveniently flourless recipes - a slightly modified version of Flour and Stone's Chocolate Manjari Cake. I didn't have a choice of chocolate so I made this cake with the only Passover dark chocolate I could find. 




I baked a small version of the cake so the quantities were reduced to fit my tin but the original quantities can be found in the recipe, which I've linked above. I did slightly modify the technique to reduce the number of steps in the recipe. This cake requires endless beating and folding so I needed to wash my mixer and beaters three times during the construction phase.



I have to say, the end result was worth it because this cake was gorgeous - a little mousse like and intensely dark and chocolately. I haven't tried this myself but I'm sure it could be made dairy free by using almond milk and swapping the whipped cream for olive oil, slowly added to the whipped eggs and sugar. One day I must give it a go.



Here's the recipe for you. Please note, for all my recipes, I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. All eggs are 60 gm and my oven is a conventional oven, not fan forced. If your oven is fan forced you may need to reduce the cooking temperature by 20°C.

Flourless Chocolate Cake – Flour and Stone
125 gm dark chocolate 
60 ml (¼ cup) milk
Juice of ½ lemon
25 gm Dutch-process cocoa, plus extra for dusting
1 egg plus 1 yolk
60 gm caster sugar
75 gm egg whites (about 2 large eggs)
100 ml pouring cream, whisked to soft peaks, refrigerated until required

Preheat oven to 160°C, conventional. Line a 16cm-diameter springform cake tin with baking paper. Coarsely chop the chocolate and place in a heat proof bowl. Bring milk and lemon juice to the boil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat while stirring (don’t worry if it curdles). Add to the chocolate and gently stir until the chocolate melts. If there are a few unmelted chocolate pieces then microwave the bowl on high for 30 seconds and stir again until the chocolate has completely melted, then fold in the cocoa.

Whisk eggs and 45gm sugar in an electric mixer on high speed until thick and fluffy(5-6 minutes). Add the egg mixture to chocolate in 3 batches, gently folding to combine between additions. It’s okay if the mixture is streaky – there’s a lot of folding yet to do and we want to preserve as much of the air as possible.

Whisk egg white and a pinch of salt in an electric mixer on medium speed until egg white forms soft ribbons form (2-3 minutes), then gradually add remaining sugar and whisk to soft peaks (1-2 minutes).

Gently fold the cream into chocolate mixture in 2 batches followed by egg white in 2 batches. Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake until centre springs back when pressed (1-1¼ hours). Turn off heat and cool in oven with door slightly ajar to reduce the amount the cake falls as it is cooling. When cake is cool, dust with cocoa and serve. The chocolate cake will keep for 4 days in an airtight container, though I doubt it will last that long!





See you all again tomorrow with some more Passover baking.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.