SLIDER

lemon iced anzac biscuits



With the 100th anniversary of the Gallipoli landing just around the corner I thought it was time to make some Anzac biscuits.



I love Anzac biscuits, but I wanted to jazz them up a little bit but not too much. Using a Belinda Jeffrey recipe as my base, I added a little lemon rind to the mix then drizzled the biscuits with a simple lemon icing.



When I was growing up, I think Anzac biscuits were the first biscuit I ever made. It's such a simple mix and melt recipe that you really can't go wrong. The lemon rind is a very gentle addition to the recipe and one I don't think the original Anzac's would have minded.



Here's the original recipe for you. I halved the ingredients and made a batch of 16 biscuits. Four were consumed for quality control reasons and the rest I took into work. There are only 3 left in the bickie tin so I think that means they're not bad at all. This recipe makes chewy biscuits and Belinda suggests ways to make a crunchy version.


For all my recipes, I use a 250 ml cup and a 20 ml tablespoon. My oven is a conventional oven not fan forced, so you may need to reduce your oven temperature by 20°C.


Anzac Biscuits - make 16

Ingredients
½ cup regular rolled oats (not quick-cooking oats)
⅓ cup shredded or desiccated coconut 
½ cup plain flour 
⅓ cup golden caster sugar
½ tsp grated lemon rind
60g (2 oz) unsalted butter
1 tablespoon golden syrup
1 tablespoon boiling water 
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda

Lemon Icing
25g (scant 1 oz) unsalted butter
½ cup sifted icing sugar
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice 

Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper and set them aside.

In a large bowl, thoroughly mix together the oats, coconut, flour, caster sugar and grated lemon rind. Put the chopped butter and golden syrup into a small saucepan over low heat (or you can do this step in the microwave) and stir occasionally until the butter has melted. Remove the pan from the heat. Mix the boiling water and bicarb soda in a cup and add to the butter mixture. Pour the butter mix into the oat mixture and stir until thoroughly combined. 

Scoop out tablespoons of the mixture onto the lined oven trays, leaving about 2 inches as the mixture spreads. Flatten the biscuits a little.  

Bake the biscuits in the preheated oven for 14-18 minutes, or until they're a deep golden brown but still soft. I always rotate the biscuit tray halfway through the cooking time so the biscuits cook evenly. Leave the biscuits to cool on the trays for a few minutes, then carefully transfer them to wire racks to cool completely. If desired, you can ice these with lemon icing. The uniced biscuits keep well in an airtight container for up to a week.

Lemon Icing
For the icing, melt 25g of unsalted butter in a small bowl. Add ½ cup of sifted icing sugar. Gradually add a tablespoon or 2 of lemon juice to form a thick icing. Beat for 1-2 minutes over hot water until shiny and runny. Drizzle the icing over the cooled biscuits. Allow the icing to set before serving the biscuits. You may have some leftover icing.



I hope you all had a great weekend. I did a bit of shopping for my trip to Singapore and Japan, which is now less than 3 weeks away. How did that happen?

See you all next week with a new Plate 2 Plate post.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

2 comments

  1. Anonymous5:36 am

    I would love these with a cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're so easy to make and disappeared in a flash at work. I think I might make another batch this coming weekend.

    J

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.