SLIDER

Blood Orange Marmalade and Almond Thumbprint Cookies



Those 2 pots of blood orange and vanilla marmalade have been sitting on the kitchen bench untouched since they were made. Early on Sunday morning I remembered these raspberry thumbprint cookies I made back in 2012 were originally made with marmalade and now that I've belatedly decided I do like marmalade, I decided it was time to revisit the recipe.



I just made one small but important change to the recipe. I figured oranges go really well with almonds so instead of using hazelnut meal, I ground some unskinned almonds in the food processor to make whole almond meal. I don't know if you can get whole almond meal in your grocery store, but I can't. Instead I ground the whole almonds with a spoonful of sugar to help the grinding process.



Here's the recipe for you.

Blood Orange Marmalade and Almond Thumb Print Cookies, adapted from this recipe by Mike McEnearney of Kitchen by Mike fame.

Makes 16
Ingredients

125 gm softened butter
50 gm (½ cup) pure icing sugar, sifted plus extra to serve
½ tsp vanilla extract
110 gm (¾ cup) plain flour plus extra for dusting
45 gm cornflour (cornstarch)
35 gm ground whole unskinned almonds or whole almond meal
blood orange marmalade

Method

Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixture until light and fluffy, add vanilla and beat to combine. 

Sift the plain flour and cornflour together. Stir the flours in followed by the whole almond meal to form a soft dough.


Wrap in plastic and refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour.


Preheat oven to 180ºC/350ºF. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.


Roll the mixture into walnut size balls (20 gm) between floured palms.  Flatten the biscuits with the base of a floured drinking glass leaving space for biscuits to spread. Bake for 5 minutes. 


Make an the indent in the cookie with the handle of a wooden spoon, then spoon a teaspoon of the marmalade into the indent.


Return the jam filled cookies to the oven and baked until they're golden, a further 
10-15 minutes. 


Cool on tray, then dust the cookies with icing sugar and serve.





These are best served on the day they're made but they're still pretty good a few days later.




I crumbled one of the cookies for the photograph (I call it my 'stunt' cookie) which of course meant I had to eat it, because I can't tolerate waste. These cookies are really, really good. I think they're probably even better than the raspberry jam version and that's saying something. Just in case you were wondering, I picked up the platter on Saturday at Small Spaces in Redfern while I was out furniture shopping.

As I spent last weekend cooped up in a Physiotherapy Department attending a workshop, this past weekend I went out sourcing furniture and light fittings for my living room refurbishment. I bought a new sofa and installed new blinds soon after I came back from my holidays. I've now decided I need to change the rug in the living room, the light fitting and the side tables and would like to buy a storage unit as well. I actually think I'm close to making a decision about the rug, the side table and floor lamp and as my middle name is 'indecisive', that's quite a big statement. Next month the living room is being repainted so the refurbishment is definitely on it's way.


I hope you all had great weekends. See you again next weekend,

Jillian


PRINT RECIPE

No comments

Post a Comment

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.