SLIDER

strawberry ice cream

I don't usually post images from my delicious bites column for decor8 but I had so many out takes from July's strawberry ice cream column I thought I'd share some of the images with you.



I've been making a version of this strawberry ice cream for many years. It all began with a strawberry mousse recipe that I froze then after I was given an ice cream recipe book, it morphed into this version. I didn't have an ice cream maker at the time, so I came up with a version that could be made in the freezer.



I still don't own an ice cream maker but my parents do, so I made this batch of ice cream during one of my trips to Brisbane,
with 2 punnets of strawberries and my ice cream bowls carefully wrapped in my hand luggage.




The ice cream only contains a few ingredients - strawberries, sugar, eggs, lemon juice and cream. The base of the ice cream is an egg mousse to which you add the strawberry puree and cream, which you whip for the freezer version and leave unwhipped if you're using an ice cream maker.



It's winter here in Sydney so I had a bit of trouble finding ice cream cones (and any sunlight I might add). I didn't really fancy having to make homemade cones so I was really glad when I discovered my local frozen yoghurt shop sold them.

Here's the recipe for you.
Strawberry Ice Cream
250g strawberries
½ cup caster sugar
the juice of half a lemon
2 large eggs
300 mls cream

Wash and hull the strawberries. Mash roughly in a bowl. Add half the sugar and the lemon juice and mix until the sugar has dissolved. Place to one side.

Combine the eggs and the remaining sugar in a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Place a small saucepan of water onto the stove and bring to a simmer. Place the bowl containing the egg mixture over the simmering water and make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn't make contact with the water. Continue to whisk the mixture until it becomes light and fluffy and is lukewarm to the touch.

Remove the bowl from the heat and continue to whisk the egg mixture until it’s three times its initial size and has returned to room temperature. Place the bowl in the fridge to cool.

If using an ice cream maker, combine the egg mixture, the cream and the strawberry mixture together in one bowl and place in the ice cream maker. Churn the mixture until it sets then scrape from the machine into a storage container and place in the freezer until it's time to serve.

If not using an ice cream maker, whip the cream in a medium size bowl until soft peaks form. Gently mix the cream, the strawberry mixture and the egg mixture until just combined. Place into a sealed container and freeze until the outer edges are firm and the centre is soft. Remove the ice cream from the freezer, place the contents into a bowl and stir until smooth. Replace the ice cream mixture back into the storage container, seal and return to the freezer until set.

About 30 minutes before serving time, take the ice cream from the freezer and place it in the fridge to allow the ice cream to soften a little.



When the weather warms up a little I hope you get a chance to make this ice cream because it is very yummy.




I started this strawberry sampler a few months ago and have kept working on it when I get a bit of spare time. 
I thought you'd like to see how it was progressing. It takes me about 3 hours to stitch those leaves so it could be a while before it's finished.

See you all again soon,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

2 comments

  1. Looks yummy this summer is just what I want. !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get the chance to make this. It's so yummy you can't stop licking the bowl.

    J

    ReplyDelete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.