SLIDER

Rockpool Date Tart


I've been clipping recipes from magazines since I was 12 and they're squirrelled all over the place. This clipping has been in my file for a long time now as it must be at least 15 years since I last baked the tart. I read somewhere that the date tart has returned to the Rockpool menu after many years absence.




It's a simple tart in many ways but complex in others. The filling contains just a few ingredients  - eggs, sugar, cream and a vanilla bean  - but it makes for a very rich custard. If you've ever eaten custard tarts at yum cha, it's quite a similar taste. 


The date is a bit of a surprise but it really works. I also think the tart would work equally well with prunes soaked in brandy or tea.




The recipe is exceedingly generous with it's quantities. I made a 5 egg yolk custard mixture and it made sufficient filling for a long oblong tart and 4 small tarts. I'm sure a 4 egg custard mixture would be more than enough to fill a 23 cm round tart shell.



The Rockpool Date Tart  is a magnificent creation but it's not an every day dessert. It's best reserved for a special occasion.

It's a really busy week for me, so I'll do my best to post again mid week but if I don't you'll know why - too many Christmas festivities and lack of time.

Bye for now,

Jillian
PRINT RECIPE

4 comments

  1. Hi Jillian, the recipe clipping seems to have disappeared, I don't suppose you still have a copy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately some of the images have been lost but if you click on 'clipping" the link to the recipe still works. It should take you to https://members.tripod.com/cookings_oz site. Good luck

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much!

      Delete

© DELICIOUS BITES • Theme by Maira G.